What is cosmetic dentistry?
Cosmetic dentistry involves dental treatments that are implemented to improve the aesthetics of the teeth like its color, shade, shape, size, and arrangement. It helps to solve gum and bite issues. This can be done by adding materials to the teeth like composite or porcelain veneers, crowns, gum grafts.
What are some of the common treatments in cosmetic dentistry?
Some treatments in cosmetic dentistry include:
- Extraction of tooth or teeth structures and gums may be required for a gingivectomy or gum lift to cure periodontal diseases and enameloplasty or tooth re-contouring for reconstruction of teeth.
- Laser whitening, a teeth whitening process, which is found to be many times more effective than just teeth -whitening.
- Gum depigmentation or gum bleaching when there is excess pigment present in the gums, which makes them look darker.
- Orthodontics or braces involve straightening of the crooked teeth.
- Bonding is a process in which a dental composite material is used to reshape, harden and polish the teeth.
- Dental bridges can be used to fill the gaps caused by one or more missing teeth with the help of abutment teeth and a pontic or false tooth is placed between the two crowns or a bridge.
- Veneers are thin custom-made laminates that are bonded to the teeth for fixing spacing issues, reshaping the teeth or enhancing the teeth color in cases when teeth whitening is less effective.
- Dental implants in a procedure in which prosthetic devices are used when there is one or more missing tooth.
- Invisalign® is an alternative to conventional braces and it is used to get the desired shape for the teeth and the desired smile.
- Bite reclamation opens up bites for those who have worn out teeth due to issues like teeth grinding or bruxism, injury, acid reflux.
- For a decayed or damaged tooth, inlays and onlays can be helpful too.
What kinds of materials are used in cosmetic dentistry?
Dental fillings and other teeth procedures consist of metal, gold, amalgam, porcelain and other metals too. Porcelain and composite materials are more commonly used in dental treatments because they make the teeth appear more natural looking. More new materials are coming to fruition with developments in the field of cosmetic dentistry. The different tooth-colored materials are bonded to the teeth with adhesives.
Do I need a cosmetic treatment?
Do you wake up every day with dreams of conquering heights? But when you look in the mirror and smile, some part of that confidence leaves your body. Discolored, dull, chipped or misaligned teeth can often leave you with feelings like that.
The kind of cosmetic treatment you should get will depend on your present teeth and gum condition. Your expectations from a dental treatment as well as the amount of time you are willing to invest. The dentist will recommend the best type of treatment and its related aspects after an initial consultation.
The top quality cosmetic treatments provided by cosmetic dentistry specialists Dr. Cutler and Dr. Grundmann will make you want to show off your stunning smile. To get a celebrity smile, call us at 408-252-5575 to book your dental visit!